Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 21, 2009

Lemon Bars Deluxe

IMG_1819

I love these lemon bars. These are constantly requested for parties and events.

I took pictures of most of the steps but not all of them. Its pretty easy. If I can handle it, you can too.

Go now and preheat your oven to 350 F. Don't forget and realize when you go to bake...not that I would ever do that.

IMG_1760

In a medium bowl stir together 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of sifted powdered sugar. Yes, it looks like a small amount but thats because I'm using a huge bowl. I can't seem to follow directions.

IMG_1767

Pull out 2 sticks (1 cup butter). I use the regular salted kind. Cut it into little pieces and throw it in the flour mixture.

IMG_1764

Pull out your pastry cutter and start cutting the butter in. This means you press and press until the butter breaks up in the flour.

IMG_1763

Lets talk for a moment about pastry cutters. I love this one, it is solid and easy to use.

IMG_1861

I used to have this one and HATED trying to cut butter into flour. Its something akin to using a whisk. If you don't have either you can do a few things. Many food processors have a pastry attachment that is plastic. You can use that just until the mixture clings, put it back into a bowl and cut it up with a knife a bit. Or you can buy a pastry cutter. Or you can try and use your whisk. OK, don't do that.

Don't just throw it in a regular food processor. The blades will break up the butter too much. We want pieces of butter as that will create a more flakey crust/ base.

IMG_1769

Keep pressing until the mixture clings together.

IMG_1775

Toss the whole mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Press it down into the pan. No need to make it perfect or pack it into a brick.

Put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes. If your oven runs hot or uneven start checking at about 15 minutes. We want it lightly browned.

IMG_1780

Clean your bowl out, dry it and throw in 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 4 eggs and 1/3 cup of lemon juice. Beat it.

Where is the lemon juice? Oops.

IMG_1784

Zest a few lemons until you have 1-2 teaspoons of zest. I usually do a large 2 teaspoons.

IMG_1787

Juice those nekkid lemons until you have 1/3 cup of juice. I like when my one third cupeth overflow-eth.

Lets take a moment to admire my moms old school lemon juicer.

Throw that in (like you should have already) with the eggs and sugar and beat it again. I meant the juice, not the juicer. OK, not the seeds either.

IMG_1788

In another cup mix together 1/4 all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. Add it to the egginess and mix it in. I just put my handmixer on the lowest setting.

IMG_1789

Toss in the lemon zest and mix it in. The mix gets a bit frothy, its the reaction of the baking powder with the acid don't worry about it.

IMG_1791

Pull out the crust and inhale. Ah, yes. Those little holes are from the butter. They are holes of love.

IMG_1793

See how its lightly browned? We don't want it too done because its going back into the oven.

IMG_1794

Pour the eggy, lemony mixture over the top while the shortbready crust is still hot.

IMG_1796

Now put it back into the oven for another 25 minutes. Don't forget to turn the timer back on. You wouldn't want to over cook it....

IMG_1812

Like some people do. Actually it was just fine. The parts that look burnt on the side are actually just the bits that sloshed up as I was putting it in the oven.

See how the top has a nice "crust" on it. If you touch the top of yours and its a bit smooshy or slushy underneath its just fine. I actually prefer it that way. Of course I play with it, like a water bed or jello under there. It'll solidify as it cools.

Place it on a wire rack to cool. If you can't wait, put it in the fridge.

IMG_1817

I cute mine into squares first and then go across it at a diagonal to make triangles. You know how I like leetle pieces. Your friends and family will eat 10 each.

IMG_1820

Now sift some powdered sugar over them. Don't be shy friends. You want to be able to tell who has been eating them by the powdered sugar all over their shirts.

Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. I think your MY long lost siser!!! LEMON ANYTING speaks to my sould, especially where sugar is involved. When I saw that you posted a recipe, I was like "this is going to be funny" I just knew boring instrcutions were impossible. And lo' the lemons become nekkid. Gosh I love you, thanks for this and for all the steps! Wanna go get a burger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE lemon bars! They are one of my favorite desserts! But, you know...a lot of people I know scoff at them...I think its the lack of chocolate and the word lemon that makes them say "No thanks, I'll have the brownie" that's why I don't make them often...
    sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, I love lemon bars! I just have to be careful not to inhale... inevitably I choke on the powdered sugar.

    But I'm a spaz, so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious! I'm scared of anything that involves anything pastryish, but I'm willing to give this a try - I'm loving citrussy stuff at the mo. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, this looks divine. I have never tried lemon bars but must now. Liked your bowl, it looks great for mixing and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be intimidated by the word pastry, think of it as a shortbread cookie base.

    I choke on the powdered sugar too but don't feel any better- I'm a total freak.

    You have to try lemon bars! I love these and I usually go for the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and if you have people over that usually just like chocolate do this..

    Put the lemon bars out (and make them leetle so people will try them) as soon as people come over.

    Put the chocolate stuff out later. People will then have had the cance to get hooked on the bars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. For three reasons.
    1-you said nekkid.
    2-you said leetle again. I will keep coming back for that word indefinitely.
    3-they look delicious!! I gotta make this!
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore lemon bars, and yours look particularly great. I will try them since I seem to be taking an unplanned week-long hiatus from my diet ;-) I can just taste them now via your mouthwatering pictures - yum! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now, I just happen to have some lemons that need using. Isn't that convenient. And all my kids are now gone so I can eat them all myself. Of course, then I will have to walk MANY more miles. Some things are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lemon bars are huge favorites around here! You have to wear a bib to keep the powdered sugar from giving you away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can smell it all the way over here! I love lemon bars and yours looks absolutely great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum yum yum. I'll bet these are delicious. I wish I had me some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, can you just come over and make some of these for me??? They sound absolute light and refreshing to eat, can't wait to make some for the family.

    I am just afraid that once I make it, my family will eat them all gone and I will have to make more.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look absolutely yummy. I could eat a dozen, with a nice hot cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, Julia/Julie .... I mean Dawn ...
    You had me at lemon bars!!!!

    That sweet yet tangy, buttery, melt in your mouth heavenly bar is going be on my dessert plate on Sunday!!!!!!

    Love the pics and I need a pastry cutter like yours! It means business!

    Yummy blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look like the most perfect lemon bars ever! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mouth is watering...seriously! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, I can't wait to try this recipe. Lemon bars are one of my absolute favorites. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips