Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Lime Bars (the code was lime bars)

IMG_6934

OK, so someone out there might be sick of baby news. I mean, you all do have regular lives going on, not that I would know because I haven't had the chance to see what anyone else in the world is up to.

IMG_7109

You see... we're all wrapped up over here... oh geez, with the stupid pun. Anyway, for those of you looking for baby news you'll be happy to know that lime bars had a hand in my successful hospital experience.

You all know that I've been on a baking streak and so I would set aside things to take to the hospital in case I went into labor. I put aside half a pan of lime bars to bribe the nurses to be nice and give me drugs and trade me for a baby. AND IT WORKED! Lime bars were to be the code words for when I went into labor. My sister and I would send false texts to each other... lime stars! We joked that mom couldn't ever remember the code. When we showed up at the house the morning of Halloween she mumbled something and said, "lemon drops?"

Coming up next I'll tell you about the birth and the drama and trauma of breastfeeding as I've come to experience it so far. Just know, that I am reading your messages, love and truly appreciate them and will respond before Peanut turns 13.

Back to the lemon bars!!

My parents neighbors gave us a bunch of limes and I wanted to make something easy with them. I came across this lime bar recipe by the Neely's and had to try it.

The recipe is really easy with a cookie crust (which I find easier than the shortbread crust) and the curd set perfectly.

IMG_6930

Excuse my lack of pictures- in my baking fury lately I keep forgetting to pick up my camera.

Preheat your oven to 350 and spray a 9 x 13 inch pan.

In a medium bowl mix 1 cup room temperature unsalted butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar on medium-high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add 2 cups flour and a pinch of salt and mix for a minute until well combined.

I just now realized that I forgot to spray the pan which is why my corners stuck. Oops!

Press the dough into your pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. If you are having a problem with your dough sticking to your spatula or spoon as you try to spread it, give it a quick spray with some Pam.

IMG_6931

For the topping whisk together 4 eggs, add 2 cups of sugar and whisk again.

Add 6 tablespoons of flour, whisk away.

Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 2 teaspoons of lime zest and.. you guessed it... whisk again.

For the record this would definitely work with lemon juice.

Pour your mixture over the crust (I didn't wait for it to cool) and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until set. I ended up baking mine for about 20 as it was getting pretty brown on one side.

IMG_6937

When you pull it out of the oven make sure you let it cool before you slice it up. That way the curd gets a chance to really set. Dust with powdered sugar, lots of powdered sugar.

I would go a step further and garnish with some lime slices or some candied lime peels for a special presentation. Otherwise, I'm not sure people would know they are lime bars since we automatically think lemon when we see these.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure my bribing worked as I ended up with a gorgeous baby boy. Who knows what kind of kid I would have ended up with if I had showed up with liver and onions.

I'm sure these will be a hit, let me know when you try them!

6 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you're able to blog about delicious baking! Wonder woman! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear all about Peanut. He is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut is so precious!!! luvuallbye

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my those look good. too cute with your code word! why did you even mention liver and onions...GROSS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine anyone is tired of hearing about the baby! We want more pictures! We want details, We will try to be patient and ever mindful of your privacy, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you just have to cover them with chocolate and they will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips