Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 18, 2010

Temporary Housewife

IMG_2859crbw

Perhaps things were just going a little too smoothly for newlyweds. The last few years have been full of only positives. There really hasn't been any drama in the our little bubble. B & I have had it way too easy.


Although I don't really talk about work on this blog, I'll take a moment to let you know why I was missing last week.

I've been laid off. It wasn't really unexpected but that doesn't make the situation any more fun. Actually my last day at work was the day I hit 20 weeks (the half way point) in my pregnancy. Now I'm just trying to figure out what the next step is.

I've never, ever not had a job before. It seems that everything has gone topsy turvy. As the bigger breadwinner in the family I never considered not working for any length of time.

So here I am. I'm 5 months pregnant and wondering who is going to hire someone who needs to take maternity leave in the fall when there are a gazillion other non-pregnant people out there looking for jobs. I can always go back to the restaurant industry. Back to the nights, weekends, holidays, long work days and non-stop running around. Again, I know that I would only really be considered after the baby is here.

IMG_2859cr

In the end though I feel like this will all work out. Doesn't it always? I feel like maybe I'll find a job that more suits me or maybe this will be one whole character building exercise. I mean, aren't newlyweds who are expecting their first child supposed to be broke?

Don't you worry too much, we aren't going to go hungry. Thank God for savings. I wasn't planning on draining it before the baby got here but life rarely goes as planned. At least we have something to fall back on. We also have wonderful family and friends who will never stop helping us however they can.

Depending on the moment I feel anxious, hopeful, relieved, confused, nauseous, stagnant, overwhelmed, prepared, unprepared, cautious, surprised and pregnant. I know that last one is kind of odd but with the baby constantly moving these days I've never been so consistently aware of Peanut. Being pregnant right now is a weird thing. It definitely affects my next move. In all this I'm so totally sure that we're gonna make it and that our best days are ahead of us. I'm just a bit eager to get there. :) One day at a time, one step at a time.


So here I am. The unexpected and hopefully temporary housewife.


I even made dinner Friday. The whole world has gone topsy turvy.

22 comments:

  1. When one door closes, another one opens -- trite but true. I've been severely underemployed and exhausted my unemployment insurance in the last year, so I totally understand how stressful/challenging/generally rough it can be.

    It's amazing what a brief stint of homemaking can do though, and I hope you find it refreshing and comforting while you find the path to your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much harder to see the big picture when hormones are off whack, and I don't care who says what, pregnant women's hormones are certainly off whack. Hang in there, trust God. He makes ways when we can't see any!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Stacy about the doors closing/windows opening thing. {{hugs}}

    On another note... Can they do that? I don't know how it is in the US, but over here companies cannot lay off pregnant women. It's almost like, even in the most rickety of economic situations, pregnant women have at least 9 months of job security + however long a maternity leave is granted under the law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would lay off a woman half way through her pregnancy?? Not anyone worth working for, if you don't mind my saying.

    I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and while it's tough when it's not your own decision, I just know you'll come out of this shining. In your journey of life this will be a barely noticeable bump in the road. Now that other 'bump', that's a life changer! : )

    Keep smiling!!

    Big, bug hugs to you girl ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not always easy to see at the time of course, but down the road you're going to look back and realize that whatever comes next, it will be a step up. The stress you were under wasn't good for you or Peanut, and though it sucks at the moment, it'll end up being what was best anyway.

    Plus, think of it this way - you can get another job, but he'll always be a d-bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry girl. I was wondering how things were going. Bad timing for sure. I'll be praying for you to find something else soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Well you can always move in with me. Oh wait... I might not have a house to offer!! LOL

    I'll just keep praying something wonderful happens for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dawn!!! Haven't you heard? It's called funemployment. Justin was laid off a few months ago, so I can relate. He was the bread winner. It's stressful, but you just have to have faith that all will work out, and it looks like you have that. So, um.... Now that you will be having more time on your hands, we MUST hang. :) -Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was there once, by choice. I was the one bringing home the most bacon and we decided that I should stay home with the kiddos because of the stress and work environment where I was.
    It was a struggle in the beginning, but so totally worth it. Little things mean a lot. You may be surprised at just how much money your job cost you in the end, especially if you figure in the childcare that you would have to pay in a few months if you continued to work.
    When you figure in lunches, gas, clothes for work, and all the other incidentals that come along with it, you may come to realize that you really can get by on a lot less than you originally thought.
    In the meantime, enjoy the time to get ready for Peanut to make his appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh friend I am so sorry. And I agree with Andrea @ RuralRevival, who lays of a pregnant woman?

    But oh just think of all the possibly wonderful things that might be just around the corner. I don't know what they are but I know that they are there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I'm so sorry, but this may be a blessing in disguise. You're able to focus on growing your little peanut. You're right, maybe you will find something out there that better suits you.

    You're a great writer, you should look into blogging for money or something you can do from home for now.

    Things will work out. If anyone can do it, it's you and B!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that just stinks...seriously who would lay you off??? and being pregnant? what? huh? despicable...I know there are better avenues for you, door will open, and don't stress, things ALWAYS work out for the better...rub your tummy it will all be A-ok!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry! These stupid layoffs are hitting so many people. I've been out of a job since July of last year and praying that something comes up. It's not fun but at least you know that you can find resourceful ways (because you are so creative) to making ends meet. Maybe you can open up your own contract firm and then, you'll be able to schedule around Peanut and time with the family. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your attitude--you're taking this as an adventure, and that's why you're going to be ok! I loved that the first photo was beauty with a sheen of foreboding over it. The second photo brought the light and color back--a brightness in your life no matter what the circumstances! You know you're always in my thoughts and prayers, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, Dandy! I'm so sorry this is happening at this point in your lives. Keep that positive spirit! It serves you well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Things will work out Dawn. My husband's plant closed over two years ago. Its been up and down, we've made it though. Just take a day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you manage to find something--I think the fact that so many people out there are reporting the same thing is absolutely heartbreaking. You have a great attitude about it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am 23 weeks pregnant, and was laid off from my consulting position last month. I'm in the same boat as you currently, which is so odd. I've never been unemployed this long ... and it looks like it will remain this way at least until December.

    The good news is that opportunities are endless! Just look for creativity. Luckily, I started a business last year that I am able to work from home. I am hopeful that if I put in the time now, by the time my babe arrives, it will be a breeze to continue working from home.

    Good luck to you!! But you won't need it ... you'll come out smelling like a rose, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a great outlook Dandy Candy. I did the restaurant bit with TJ and it was hard but we really needed the money. Im so sorry this happened now, but I am here for ANYTHING you need. SERIOUSLY. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about this, but as a stay at home mom for my kiddos when they were young I HIGHLY recommend it---we didn't get out much, but we had sweet, sweet memories---who knows what's out there for you---praying it works out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're right about two things -- you're gonna make it AND your best days are ahead! I know this seems like the worst timing. But I'll bet you look back at it someday and are just amazed at the good that comes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry to hear that. I know that you are scared but it will all work out. It might just be time to enjoy being pregnant and being B's wife. Things will work out....they always do.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips