Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Reading time


Peanut is in a big book phase right now.

It makes my heart go pitter patter.

In the mornings when we wake up (Peanut sleeps with us from about 6-8 am, it's perfect)
I reach over for a book or two and read them to him before we even get out of bed.

Throughout the day we read books.
It's usually a good distraction if he is being fussy or super clingy.

Sometimes if he's getting into something he shouldn't, which is always,
I sit on the other side of the room and start to read out loud.

I don't look at him.
I just pretend to be really engrossed in this book and 
he simply cannot stand it.
He has to come over and see what I'm reading.

Then he lays on it or me and tries to turn the pages,
only occasionally eating the corner, but hey, what're ya gonna do.

He lifts them up, talks to them, smiles and laughs.

Well except the time, shortly after this picture was taken, that he got his finger stuck.
It's a big book and he turned the page with his finger near the binding.
He recovered fairly well.  It's not like he cringes when I bring out Brown Bear now.
Not much anyway.

At night after his bath we have some quiet time in a dim room.
He plays a bit while I read some of the longer more involved books.
I know he's not really listening to the words but it's a good calming time for both of us.

After he settles into daddy's lap while I read a short and easy book.
We always end the night with either Goodnight Moon or It's Time To Sleep, My Love.

What are your favorite books to read out loud?

3 comments:

  1. That is so cute that he can't resist you reading a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... Take me to the Zoo... I had it MEMORIZED. Actually, I still have much of it memorized and just recited a whole bunch of it to Adrain. I was forced to read that thing about five dozen times a day!!! Those little hoodlums had it memorized too, so if I skimmed any part of it they KNEW. And the never let me get away with it... those and Berenstain Bear books, which believe it or not, my 8 and 10 year old still request for aloud reading time every so often. Those books are amazing and if you can, begin buying all of them!! They are cozy books. Do you know what I mean by that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo sweet!! I have night brain and can't think of a single title for a child. Um, yeah. It's hard to beat Good Night, Moon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips