Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Strawberry Lime Shortcake

IMG_2077 This was the only shot I got of these. It looks messy, the whipped cream was over-whipped and the biscuit was partially eaten but that doesn't matter because these tasted awesome. The biscuit is light, flakey and only slightly sweet. It's a more traditional verson of shortcake, unlike the typical angel food cake. Picnik collage Recipe by Nigella Lawson. Recipe found here, the picture comparison makes me laugh :) Preheat oven to 425. Mix 2 cups plus 2 tbs flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbs baking powder, 3 tbs of sugar. My favorite part: Grate 1/2 cup (1 stick) FROZEN unsalted butter into the dry ingredients. Mix it all together. I just think that's genius. It makes it so easy to get the butter even dispersed thru your biscuits. In a separate bowl whisk together 1/2 cup light cream and 1 large egg. Slowly add it into the dry ingredients, a little at a time while mixing with a fork. Stop when the dough comes together. Picnik collage Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about an inch thickness. Cut as many rounds as you can, I got 9 out of it but maybe mine weren't thick enough. I used a 2.5 inch cutter. Place on a baking sheet 1 inch apart, brush the tops with 1 egg white and sprinkle with 2 tbs of sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Meanwhile take your pint of strawberry and smoosh half in a bowl with a tbs sugar. Halve or quarter the rest and mix together for the topping. Whip some heavy whipping cream as a topping. Assemble! Split the biscuits in half, spread LIME CURD (the most important part) across the bottom, add a scoop of strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream and serve. Picnik collage So, fix my biscuits. They didn't rise evenly and some spread oddly. Is it the way that the sides got pressed down when I cut them? The first picture shows the way they are supposed to be but the other side was all lopsided. Suggestions? IMG_2038 The important thing is that they tasted absolutely fantastic. P.S. My little Peanut is 5 months old today!

12 comments:

  1. This looks so good and perfect for the start of spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that Peanut's learned to put both hands together in that "gong xi, gong xi" fashion... that'd come in handy for Chinese New Year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *mmmm* who cares if it's messy, it's all the same inside! it still looks delicious to me. Happy 5 months to your precious little peanut.... how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum ,,,that looks so good!!! and Happy Birthday to Peanut!!! luvuallbye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 5th month, Peanut!!

    Your lemon curd recipe has been on my mind ever since I read it and now this. That looks sooo good! Who would have ever thought to put lime curd on it. Yum! Now I must try this myself.

    I'm no baking expert, so my GUESS is that your dilema has to do with the amount of butter in the recipe. That one side in the second picture reminds me of the look of melty cookies fresh from the oven. Maybe too butter much to make them look perfect??? Please forgive me for saying that, I regret it already...it can't possibly be the butters fault.
    Another possibility, as I'm sure you know, is your brand/freshness of flour and baking powder. I can seriously see a difference in my biscuits fluffiness when I stray away from my favorites (Argo double acting baking powder and Wheat Montana brand flour.)
    Having said all that, I can't imagine how awesome your strawberry shortcakes taste and I think the biscuits look great too. You don't even want to know what I do to my biscuits before I bake them. Okay, I'll tell you, I smush the entire ball of dough onto a jelly roll pan, slice them into squares then bake them as one big sheet of biscuit. I'm just too lazy to use a biscuit cutter and the amount of biscuits my family can consume in one meal would keep me in the kitchen all day.
    So there, take my thoughts with a big grain of salt. Heh, heh.
    ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too butter much??? Too much butter. Typing with a wild toddler in my lap will do that, plus whatever else I'm sure I typoed.
    ☺ Celeste m/lk (I think that was my Sophie telling Peanut "hi.")

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, and I LOVE the hat on Peanut. I can't believe he's that old already. Wow, time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, those look so good. Wow, 5 months! That went by fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Peanut's hat is too cute..love it. And I wish I had that shortcake in front of me right now, sounds so good on this very warm day in SF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you cut with your biscuit cutter go straight down and DO NOT twist. When you twist you seal the edges and it will cause the wonky rising problem. If you want them to rise higher roll your biscuit dough out and fold into thirds and roll again a few times, like puff pastry, and then place the cut biscuits with thier sides slightly touching. This will keep them from spreading out as much and give you the layers like you want for shortbread style biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Happy 5 months cutie!!! Well, whatever the problem was, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember you posting this recipe and thinking mmmm that would be delish!! I remembered while cruising the grocery store for dinner/dessert and decided to give it a try tonight. It was a huge hit!! Thank you for posting and for trying out new recipes for me to make :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips