Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, January 10, 2010

My kind of roses in Rotorua, Mac's Steakhouse

IMG_8360

I think from now on I want B to bring me these kind of roses for Valetines. Roses of the bacon nature.

But we'll get back to that shortly. Lets talk about the drive from Waitomo to Rotorua.

IMG_8332

A word to my fellow travelers. When you get a rental car with a GPS and you aren't driving a vehicle with 4 wheel drive.... please make sure that you change the GPS setting to easiest instead of fastest or shortest.

Because you might end up on a quaint little side street like this.

IMG_8333

But your quaint little side street may turn into a dirt road.

And your dirt road may turn into a 4WD obstacle course. I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy holding my breathe and praying. But I will say that there were hole large enough to lose me in.

Have you been on the Indiana Jones ride? It was like that. Only we were in a Toyota Corolla hatchback with 4 inches of clearance under the car.

IMG_8346

This is just from the dust being kicked up behind us.

IMG_8340

We had to stop here because there was a loud scary noise coming from under our car. To be honest I'm surprised we didn't leave half of the engine on that dirt road.

The cow wants to know if we can stop all the racket.

IMG_8353

When we finally got to Rotorua we found this piece of heaven. Its called Eat Streat and we could've dined there forever.

IMG_8355

We ended up at Mac's Steak House. Here is the Scallop Appetizer with corn fritters and a coconut curry cream sauce.

IMG_8357

All of the scallops here have this orange part. What is that? It has the same texture as the scallop. The scallops were sweet and tender.

IMG_8363

Back to my bacon roses. Here we have the filet mignon with a garlic marinated portabello and a corn meal crust. Did I mention the light layer of melted blue cheese? Or the creamy potatoes?

Totally delicious.

IMG_8362

B had the heart attack on a plate. What we have here is filet with fries with a fried egg with caramelized onions and creamed mushrooms.

If you can get past the artery clogging you really enjoy this dish. I love being on vacation.

IMG_8364

We were ravenous after the black water rafting. Disclaimer: I have no make-up on and I've been crawling thru caves so please don't look at my face.

I told you not to look.

Did you just scroll back up?

IMG_8365

My healthy salad had mayo on it. Straight mayo. I realize that most creamy dressings are mayo but I've never had unseasoned mayo on a salad.

IMG_8369

This is a fancy way of serving ice cream.

IMG_8371

The next morning B headed out for a bike ride with Planet Bike. Rotorua is known for the amazing mountain bike trails and he just couldn't miss out on the opportunity to ride them.

IMG_8374

During his ride I napped in the sun. I figure he was getting enough exercise for both of us.

After his ride the man on the right fixed our car by zip-tying the panel and plastic wheel well

IMG_8406

New Zealand's own Lemon and Paeroa (L & P). Paeroa is the town the water comes from and the soda tastes just like Bubble Up!

IMG_8408

I'd been seeing people walking around with these papers everywhere.

I didn't realize they were packages of fried goodness.

IMG_8411

NZ's version of fast food is fish and chips wrapped up to go. B ordered that plus scallops, mussels and sausages.

The man has a bottomless pit for a stomach.

IMG_8398

Back on the lake I took in the gorgeous day.

IMG_8416

It was calm and relaxing.

IMG_8405

I'm trying to send you some New Zealand warmth.

Whats the temperature by you right now?

15 comments:

  1. Yeah, I scrolled up and you look amazing, almost as good as those fish and chips! ; )

    It's -19C this morning which translates to -2F. Darn cold, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.

    Oh what a wonderful trip. And you looked gorgeous like you were really enjoying the vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. -3 this morning. I could use a vacation in the sun. I'm so jealous of the white water rafting and biking! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your food looks so good. I could have eaten it all. YUM! It has been snowing here in Kentucky for a week. I haven't left the house. I am wishing I was on vacation in the warm sun somewhere:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a drive that was! Hope the car was OK and you can still get around!
    The food looks so yummy ... especially the fish and chips (Simple tastes here!) ... and of course the ice cream!
    I bet B had a great ride ... but you and I would be out on the beach for sure!
    FYI ... -2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hungry after that posting!
    It's 14 degrees now (11:22AM)in Mid Missouri, was -1 at 8:00 AM.
    Enjoy that honeymoon . . . like I have to tell you that!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want those kind of roses too, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're clocking in at a nice January day of 76F. Can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm bacon roses...i don't know, which ones to choose, considering that real roses photograph better, but probably don't taste as good :)
    1. Um, you look so gorgeous. Seriously, with a face like yours, don't you think make up is a little overkill?
    2. Mayo on the salads is the way Russians do it. Only, we have tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage and onions in salads, instead of lettuce.
    3. My arteries are clogging just by looking at your posts. Thanks a lot

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want a bacon rose too! And I did scroll up and look because you KNEW I would!! And PUH-leeze. You looked gorgeous, as you always do. :)

    Happy relaxing! And eating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That food looks delicious...and you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, that first picture along with your comment made me laugh out loud!
    I thought yesterday when I read about the sheep,"Wow! She has on a tank top!" It's so cold here, and I know it's colder other places, but it's Dallas! It's freezing. Literally. Brrr. I don't like to be cold.
    You look like you are having so much fun! I want a honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally scrolled back up and was like uhhh...you look like that after being in Glow Poop cave?! How do you maintain gorgeousness all the time?!

    I'm pretty sure it's against the laws of nature to get any arteries clogged while on vacation. Vacation food is exempt from that sort of thing. So enjoy with reckless abandon! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi ... I really am very grateful for any information that you shared with readers, to me seemed a very interesting and I love to get much more information.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips