Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Huka Falls, Taupo

IMG_9119

One thing I've learned is that when you are traveling you should always leave yourself extra driving time.

This is especially true when you are in a place as picturesque as New Zealand.

IMG_9118

If you allow yourself time to roam then you can pull over whenever you see a sign that looks like it might lead to something interesting.

IMG_9122

This is how we found Huka Falls. We had gone to catch our flight and it was delayed so we drove back past town to a sign we had seen earlier.

IMG_9131

I haven't edited these photos at all. The water actually is this amazing color.

IMG_9132

The deeper the water the more brilliant the color. In the rapids it was this pale clear aqua.

IMG_9135

The roar from the rapids blocked out the sound of everyone else's voice.

IMG_9133

Its amazing how the loud consistent sound can make everything seem so silent.

IMG_9140

Its even more brilliant in person. Oh and the sky! The sky was such a pretty blue.

IMG_9142

The air is so fresh, so clean and you can smell the water running below you. It makes you want to just dip your hand in that water and take a drink.

IMG_9144

For decades the power from the falls powered the hotel we stayed at. Its really impressive how people have used these rivers for centuries.

IMG_9148

There are a few companies that also offer river cruises to get a very close view of the falls and its surrounding.

IMG_9151

They got quite close, I'm sure they were all pretty damp.

Telephoto lenses are the coolest.

IMG_9154

Around Huka Falls are tons of walking trails. They are all clearly marked with the amount of time it will take to walk the loop.

IMG_9156

I think I've fantasized about these footpaths before. I just know if I took the time I could find all sorts of magical worlds behind those leaves.

IMG_9159

Under the cover of these paths everything smells damp and alive. I love the smell of wet dirt. I love the smell of rain.

IMG_9149

Every thing here is so entirely alive.

IMG_9195

It is so powerful.

New Zealand

Where do you go for a water fix? The beach? A pool? A crick :) The interwebs?

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh, I think you've just been hit by this "commenter" who has been leaving similar comments on a few other websites I know.

    Back to NZ... wow, I could almost smell and taste the pureness of the water! All their tourism ads about 100% PURE are so true, aren't they? I was in a Shotover Jet in one of their rivers and when they boat made a quick turn, a spray of water swept over us and I accidentally gulped down some (I was sitting in front!) and it was so pure-tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a way to end your trip ... The unexpected adventures are the sweetest! Safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! I want to be there, I have the creek in the backyard, Im more of a port town girl but I will take what I can get. I hope you guys had the time of your lives, and I cant wait to see what else you were up to. That water is so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOODNESS. I can't believe the color of the water. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That color is gorgeous!!! I could so easily jump into that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! Great memories to take away from the end of your trip. Hope the journey home is a safe one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful! My favorite is the last photo, it must have been breathtaking! I love water in all forms, ponds, lakes, rivers, oceans...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful! I love water. I love the ocean, rivers, anything place that has water. These are some really beautiful photos. You had a great day to take pictures. Wonderful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh so gorgeous! I love waterfalls, water bodies..whatever. I like to go to the state parks where there are waterfalls, we have several, we've gone to Niagara Falls, Canada quite a few times and it was so relaxing to just sit in the park and watch the water. Luckily, we had sun glasses on because we dozed off!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That water color is amazing. I've been showing Match your New Zealand pictures and he promised we'd go there someday. Sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to be such an original comment, but I have to say it. What a beautiful place! How wonderful you were able to go there together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That last one is amazing... the sky! The water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The crick is where I go :) These are simply breathtaking! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips