Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sweet Potato Puree

IMG_2876

Sweet potato was the first food I made for Peanut.  It's a big flavor after months of breastmilk and formula but we decided to jump right in anyway.  He was a little unsure the first day but ate it anyway.  By day two he seemed less confused and day three he was eating like a champ.

This is the first of what may be many baby food posts.  If you aren't interested just come back tomorrow- I promise not to post 2 baby foods in a row! :)

IMG_2828

There are a lot of different sweet potatoes at both the supermarkets and local farmer's markets so don't be afraid to mix things up and experiment!

Left to right you see a standard sweet potato, Japanese white sweet potato, purple sweet potato and what most people/places call yam.

For the record, the last one is not really a yam.  I've never actually seen a real yam which is highly uncommon in the U.S.  Here we just call sweet potatoes with orange flesh yams. 

IMG_2840

Place your potatoes on the baking sheet and poke a few holes in them with a knife.

I baked all of these at 425 for varying amounts of time.  The 2 on the ends took 45 minutes and the purple took a little over an hour.  After taking this picture I realized that the Japanese white still wasn't done so I placed it cut side down and baked it for another 25 minutes bringing it to about an hour and a half.

You know they are done when the skin looks loose and the flesh is soft when squished or poked with a knife.  Don't squeeze hot potatoes with your bare hands to test them.

I'm just sayin'.

When I cut these I was a bit surprised.  Having picked up the purple and the Japanese white from the farmers market I had assumed that they were actually the opposite.  Come to find out the Japanese white has the purple skin and the purple has the white skin.

IMG_2878

You can scoop the flesh out with a spoon but I just end up peeling the skin off.

Simply blend in your food processor to the desired consistency.  During the blending I went ahead and added filtered water to make it smoother.  When you feed your baby you can dilute it even more with water, breastmilk or formula if you like.

No, I did not edit these photos at all.  Yes, the 3rd one looks blue.  Or even worse, kinda grey.

Left to right you are looking at them in the same order.  Sweet potato, Japanese white, purple and "yam".

IMG_2844

As you start to introduce your baby to more texture, reserve part of the sweet potato and mash it with a fork, then add to your puree.  You could also just pulse the processor a few times leaving some bits in tact.  Ricers will give you a different result as well. 

Each different process will yield a different texture and a new mouthfeel for your little.

Lots of new experiences.

Don't forget that big kids (like us) can eat this stuff too.  I love sweet potato mash.

IMG_2871

Although they are all sweet potato, they do vary in taste.

The Japanese white (the one that looks a bit green) is super creamy and by far the sweetest of the four.  The purple I found to be the least sweet and the most starchy.

Although I think they would all taste great mixed with other food, I believe the standard white sweet potato (bottom right) would be the best mixed with other food from a purely aesthetic view.  I would hate to think what broccoli and yams mixed together would look like.

IMG_2835

Peanut obviously doesn't care that I'm mixing sweet potato and peas and I forget what else.

He still too young to know that the bluish/greyish/slightly purplish food isn't normal either.

I think we all know my poor Peanut is going to grow up with a very different idea of what "normal" food is.  :)

Why is it I feel the need to open my mouth every time I feed him a spoonful?

IMG_2880

Jar up your food or place it in ice cube trays and freeze for later.  I'm passing some to my nephew, keeping some for Peanut and passing some to a friend.  Those 4 potatoes gave me 12 of these jars!  These will also keep in the refrigerator for 3 or so days.

Anyone need some sweet potato puree for your baby?  I'm making more food than I can store :)

12 comments:

  1. I made most all my baby food and my two are now 33 and 27 Years that is. I bought canned fruit and cooked it with tapicoa and then smashed it up. Back then I had a hand held baby food grinder, pre blender days.
    Both my kids are good at eating different foods now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little jars!!! Oh yes ,,,open mouth for every bite. lol Peanut is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those jars look so pretty--i love all the different colors from one type of food.
    Elle
    PS loooooooove that owl bag you made for the baby shower! that is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks great! my little man starts food in a month - i'd love for him to try these

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! I love making my own baby food. I also throw the purees into regular food for my boys. If the colors match, they will never know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So neat!! Love the colors. I've never really been a fan of yams, but I wonder if our little guy will like 'em...our little one is just 2 months old, so I don't need to worry about making baby food yet, but it looks awesome and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! So much food from just four potatoes. Yes that blue one reminds me of the food they at in the movie Hook. All brightly colored. Maybe Peanut will like it more because of that?

    You look FANTASTIC! I think this is the first picture I've seen of you with your body showing. You had a baby? Seriously?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *First body picture I've seen since Peanut was born I mean. Great job Dandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is it that I didn't know there were this many different sweet potatoes? hmmmmm, SO cool! So glad you're making your own food---what a savings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always thought about making my own baby food when I have kids, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just started sweet potatoes with my little one. She devoured them today. I'm making my own too, freezing in ice cube trays. Your food looks much more gourmet than mine though! Wow, four different types of sweet potatoes. Impressive.

    PS, your little one is a doll!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips