Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

106th Huntington Beach 4th of July Parade

IMG_4173

We start every 4th of July by heading to Downtown Huntington Beach for their Independence day parade. I had planned on posting this in a series but due to the fact I clearly have a problem with scheduling (I thought these were being posted over the last few days) we are going to do one big, long post!

The parade route is full of decorated houses,

IMG_4170

people on fun and festive bicycles (yes he is facing backwards),

IMG_4196

patriotic pooches and

IMG_4231

the honoring of many military. These are some of the World War II submarine veterans.

IMG_4175

We see beach cruisers in all shapes and sizes...

IMG_4177

as they pedal thru the streets before and after the parade has passed.

IMG_4212

I don't know what this is, but I want it.

IMG_4185

You know how I love me some classic cars!

IMG_4218

Of course, I always, always cry during certain parts. When everyone stands to honor military I start to sniffle and then when these Pearl Harbor survivors pass by I can never stop the tears.

IMG_4228

These folks danced their way down the entire parade route! Swing, baby, swing!

IMG_4240

But not all of us were interested in the parade. ~sigh~ You can't please everyone.

IMG_4236

POW * MIA You are not forgotten.

IMG_4248

We crossed over and turned around by the pier. It was overcast and lovely.

IMG_4250

Especially lovely if you are this dog. What a way to spend the 4th, all bundled up and cuddled like a baby as you take in the ocean breeze and watch the parade go by.

We should all be so lucky.

IMG_4245

Dinosaurs? How did they work their way into the festivities?

IMG_4257

People will perch anywhere for a good view!

IMG_4259

Yay! Lovely survivors marching with pride.

IMG_4263

Lovely, errr, interesting patriotic body painting.

There are lots of characters around the parade. In fact, shortly after this we were combing thru the crowd and someone asked me if I would like to volunteer for the patriotic boobies picture book he was putting together.

See how patriotic the people are around here?!

When it gets published I'll give away autographed copies here on my blog.

IMG_4264

I kid, I kid.

Now this is a set of twins I feel comfortable taking shots of.

IMG_4267

You have to love the effort put into some of these houses!



I'm sorry, I'm distracted by the size of this horse, I mean...dog.

IMG_4268

Ah yes, the houses. People spend a great deal of time decorating and planning for this day!

IMG_4274

There are also floats in the parade. I love this one and always wonder how these girls manage to do these tricks on a moving float.

IMG_4280

OMG I want one of these too. Miniature horses for everyone!

IMG_4289

Excuse me sir, are you pointing that at me?

IMG_4310

This Indian guide (or adventure guide?) is at the very end of his trek and doing quite well. Some of them looked like they were just exhausted.

IMG_4291

At the end of the parade everyone gets back on their bikes and are able to ride thru the streets before they get opened back up. There are no less then 2 gazillion bikes out at that time.

Proceed with caution.

IMG_4270

Many people head back to their houses for a BBQ before the fireworks in the evening.

Wouldn't you smile every time you walked down this path?

IMG_4330

B had to work during the day so I headed back to pick him up. Then I treated him to a banana split.

What's more patriotic than banana splits? Besides, I'd been obsessing about one for over a month.

You know how I love dessert as an appetizer.

Just think, next year we'll have a little one in tow. Now that should be interesting.

6 comments:

  1. Oh now that looks like a bunch of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a wonderful day!! next year will be so different, and even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these pictures. Being a native from Huntington Beach, I may just have to do this one next year. I love the houses with all the patriotic decorations and flags. I love it all.

    Please stop by my blog today and make sure you sign up for the giveaway that ends today. The book is a masterpiece in itself.

    http://reviewsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I love seeing all those great houses, decked out in red, white and blue. The bikes, the body paint!, the dogs. What a great time everyone had. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it ALL. The bikes and crusiers were my fav. I need to move there, decorating for holidays is so my forte. I decorate my house for every holiday.
    We will be hanging out at Huntington beach this Saturday or next Wednesday maybe both. I hope they still have some of the decor up for the kids to see.
    Smooches from Washington,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there too! Just down the street from where you were. Love the HB Fourth Parade.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day- thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips